Monday, 7 November 2011

Lara Daniels, Romance Author


            Please tell readers about yourself
I’ll have to start off by saying “Thank you” for the wonderful opportunity to be here. It’s a real honour. My pen name is Lara Daniels, and I’m an African romance writer with a penchant for writing romantic suspense. Although I’ve completed four books now, I’ve published two titled, “Love in Paradise” and “Love at Dawn”. Both are part of my Da-Silva Romance series.  Besides being a writer, I’m also a Registered Nurse, a wife and a mom to three children who ensure that my days are never boring.    

When did you start to write?
I began writing in secondary school, and it became more serious when I entered Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU) back in Nigeria.  Back then, I’d write short love stories and post it on the walls of the female Dorms. However, I never really thought of writing as a career until August 2009 when I published my first novel.

Who were your writing influences/heroes?
They are many and varied in terms of the genre they write. When it comes to Romantic fiction, Lisa Kleypas is by far my biggest influence. Although she writes other subgenre of romance, her major focus is historical romance. The fluidity of her stories makes me want to pick up a laptop and start typing away. Besides Lisa, I have other literary heroes and they don’t necessarily write romance. African writers such as Ola Rotimi and his classic, “The gods are not to be blamed” comes to mind. The popular 1980’s Pacesetters series, (remember them?), also influenced me to write suspense.  

So much has happened in the African romance genre recently and with new writers coming up, it is easy for the media to overlook quiet trailblazers like you. Do you consider yourself to be a pioneer of Modern African Romance (in the 21st century)?
I’m honoured that you’d refer to me as a trailblazer and a modern African romance pioneer. But the sad fact is, modern African romance is still in its infancy stage in terms of concept and the African romance writer remains the underdog in romantic fiction simply because many people do not perceive Africa as a continent where Romance is experienced. An agent once told me that I’d have a hard time selling my idea of contemporary African romantic fiction because it was set in Lagos. She basically told me that the idea wasn’t believable. Because of her remarks, I was forced to change the setting of my first two novels to fictional countries – and even then, it still didn’t fly. 

As with every new idea, African romance is faced with huge challenges, one of which is being recognized as a viable genre. But with recent breakthroughs such as Koru Taye’s African romance historical and even well written self published contemporary works by Myne Whitman, I feel confident that African romance is already on the edge of an explosive advancement into the literary world. I’m also ecstatic about the recent formation of the Romance Writers of West Africa (RWoWA) that houses brilliant West African romance writers (both published and unpublished). It’s truly satisfying to be a part of the ongoing epic move and I find myself basking in the joy of it. 

Tell us about your current book?
My current book, Love at Dawn was originally published in 2010. It has gone through a couple of revisions after its initial publication. Love at Dawn is a romantic suspense set in Zamzudan, a fictional African country. The novel centers on the theme of Love, forgiveness and redemption and its major characters are Tory Da-Silva - a bubbly young woman who falls in love with a cynical and broody multi-tasking Lawyer -Rashad Macaulay. The novel is divided into three parts with the first part introducing the reader to the mysterious Love-hate relationship between Tory and Rashad. It’s not until the second and third parts that the reader fully understands the reason for the complex relationship between the two major characters. In love at Dawn, I also try to highlight some of the issues faced in some African countries, such as rampant poverty, poor healthcare and corrupt governments. 



Why should readers buy this book and where can they get it?
Readers should buy my book because of its uniqueness, in that while it concludes happily like all romantic fiction, it also touches on forbidden and controversial topics in Africa such as paedophilia and abortion, which ultimately makes it an engaging and highly suspenseful read.

One philosophy of life or mantra that you hold to be true?
That’s easy. “It’s very nice to be important, but it’s even more important to be nice.”

What are your thoughts on e-book revolution and self publishing?
I’m mostly cautious. On one part, I’m happy that the advent of eBooks will make it easier for writers to get published with little to no cost. And with many printing presses now offering all sorts of incentives to have writers publish their works at competitive prices, Writers don’t have to go through the harrowing experience of repeated rejections by agents and the big publishing houses for them to  get published.  Then there’s the power of social networking such as facebooking and twitter. Publicising one’s book has never been easier than it is now for the self publisher.  That said, my biggest concern is that this trend may result in the mass production of books that have mediocre quality. I’d hate to see this happen, because good books are necessary to enlighten one’s minds and positively influence one’s perception in an ever changing world. But what happens if good books cease to exist? I find myself cringing at the thought.

Advice to aspiring writers?
Writing is a beautiful craft and should be nurtured like all crafts. So do whatever you have to do to hone it–and that includes reading. Read, read and read – then Write!

Please give us a snippet of what are you currently working on?
I recently completed two books a month apart from each other titled “Love’s Prescription” and “The officer’s Bride.”
Love’s prescription was actually long listed in the  2011 Amazon’s breakthrough novel award and is on queue for publication by Ankara press in Nigeria. In love’s prescription, the heroine, Uche Unigwe is a medical doctor who comes from humble origins and has had to work very hard to have a successful career in upscale Victoria Island in Lagos city. She meets an enigmatic man called Ola whom she is deeply attracted to. Ola is mega successful, but like all the characters in my other books, Ola has a dark secret that could very well destroy his new relationship with Uche.
 
The officer’s bride on the other hand borrows a lot from non-fiction for its plot. Although the characters are fictitious, the back story is not. The novel spans the five years of the dictatorial rule of Nigeria’s General Sani Abacha. Its major characters are Zainab - a spirited young woman who falls in love with Eddy, a broody and powerful Military Officer who also happens to be a top member of the Nigerian Intelligence service, the SSS. Eddy is knee deep in a mysterious activity that has the potential of toppling the whole country. Since this is a blurb, I dare not divulge any more specifics about what Eddy is up to. You’ll have to read the book when it gets published.

Lara, it’s been a pleasure chatting to you. I have not met you in person but your humble spirit is truly inspiring. Thank you for your patience with me as this chat has been a long time in the works. Lara's books can be found on Amazon.



15 comments:

Seye said...

Nice interview Lara. Keep up the good work. With God on your side, things will fall in pleasant places for you.I am your number one fan.

Tolu said...

You are a star, Lara Daniels, a star and I really agree that you are a trailblazer. I am a fan too, behind Seye.

Lara Daniels said...

Thanks Seye. Thanks Tolu. See me blushing :).

Favoured Girl said...

Well done Adura for this nice interview.
Lara, big kudos to you. I know you are going places and all your hard work and dedication will pay off :)

JostWrite said...

It is inspiring to see more authors emerge out of Africa and especially in the romance genre. I will put your books on my list.

All the best and keep working hard. Writing is such hard work, only the determined push through.

'Lara said...

Nice interview...all the best Lara

Lara Daniels said...

Thank you FG, JostWrite and 'Lara for your encouraging comments.

And Adura, thank you again for taking the time to interview me...Loving all your hard work to showcase African literature in the Diaspora. You've got in me a big fan...all the way!!!

Adura Ojo said...

Favoured Girl:
Thanks sista. I echo your words to Lara.

JostWrite:
Thank you for your comments. There is so much happening in African Fiction and especially in the romance genre. It's all very exciting.

Lara:
Thanks dear. Nice to see you here:)

Lara Daniels:
It's been a pleasure, Lara. I hope people go out and buy your books or simply click on amazon. I particularly love your mix of romance and thriller.

Kiru Taye said...

CORRECTION: My name is Kiru Taye not Koru Taye.

A great interview. Lara has certainly been busy and I look forward to reading more of her books.

African romance is truly taking off. :)

Adura Ojo said...

Kiru Taye:
Sorry, that was a typo from Lara and I didn't spot it before posting.

Lara Daniels said...

Oh my!!! I'm cringing with mortification here. I don't know how I managed to have Kiru's name mispelled. I apologize dear Kiru and thanks for your encouraging comments too.

Adura Ojo said...

Lara Daniels:
Don't worry about it, dear. It's easily done. But for Kiru telling us off!;)

L'Aussie said...

Hi Adura! Hi Lara!

As Kiru (not Koru) says, African writers are really taking off and I find that refreshing! I'm staggered at your output, and also you gave a very thoughtful answer re e-books Lara. Thank you so much.

Denise

Lara Daniels said...

You are welcome L'Aussie and thanks to you too for your encouraging feedback :)

Leovi said...

very interesant

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated:)