Saturday, 10 December 2011

His Treasure: Kiru Taye

eBook: His Treasure
Author: Kiru Taye
Publisher: Breathless Press
Year: 2011
Source: Amazon Kindle 
This story from the outset is a brilliant idea. To the best of my knowledge, Kiru Taye seems to be exploring avenues that had previously been undiscovered: fictional romance within an African historical context. His Treasure - the first of the Men of Valour series - is a novella set in precolonial Eastern Nigeria, also known as Igboland. It is the story of Adaku and Obinna and the tensions within their marriage that blossom into love. Kiru explores cultural issues underpinning the relationship between Adaku and Obinna that make their eighteen months' marriage what it is.

What I like is that Kiru manages to strike a balance between the unpalatable cultural attitudes towards women in pre-colonial Eastern Nigeria and the wholesomeness of her two main characters. Adaku and Obinna have depth as believable characters. Adaku is as feisty as one would like to see in a culture that treated women like cattle. While I at first found it hard to believe that an African man of that era would wait so long for his wife to submit to him, I could see why Obinna comfortable in his masculinity and virility, would do just that.

Kiru faithfully adheres to most of the features of the novella as a literary form. The story is short and can be read in one sitting. I read it in an hour. Kiru Taye and her publisher know their readers well and perhaps it is with this in mind that it is so written. It is part of a series and this seems to be where fictional romance is heading. The storytelling could benefit from more description in some detail of the cultural setting. For instance when Adanna  is going to the market, the items in her basket are mentioned in passing but not described; so the reader does not know what is in the basket. It is the absence of little details like this that I miss in this thoughtful piece of work.

The sex scenes are hot and tastefully done. Some aspects of those sex scenes have not been portrayed before by an African female romance author. It is great to see an African author bold enough to go there. Blazing new trails in African romance, this is a brave and note-worthy first offering from Kiru Taye. She is definitely an author to watch. I look forward to the rest of the Men of Valour series.

14 comments:

Amy said...

Very neat to see this review today as I JUST bought this for my Kindle the other day :) I hope I enjoy!

9jaFOODie said...

Definitely going on my reading list....can't wait.

Lara Daniels said...

With it being a novella, there won't be room for detailed descriptions - so I can understand your concerns there, but overall, I've read the book and I loved it...and yes, Kiru is definitely a writer to watch.

Okeoghene said...

Just bought the book too. I know I will enjoy it.

'Lara said...

Good review, would love to read this book. Is it only available on Amazon or can be gotten else where.

Kiru Taye said...

Hi Adura, thank you for a great review.

Thank you all for your interest in my book. Please visit my books sections of my blog for a list of online retailers that stock the book.
http://kirutayewrites.blogspot.com/p/my-books.html

I hope you enjoy reading the book.

Kinna said...

Oh, steamy! I need to get my hands on the book obviously. Great to see African romance doing so well. Thanks to Kiru Taye.

Anonymous said...

his treasure, makes a pudding that cuase a man, to reconsider his unromantic stance. mohammed i.a isedeh.

Adura Ojo said...

Amy: Hey Amy, can't wait to read what you think. I hope you do enjoy. I did. It was refreshing, unlike anything I'd read in African fiction for a long while. And those sex scenes are a first!;)

9jaFOODie: Wise choice:)

Lara Daniels: I enjoyed it too. I don't think it needs to be that detailed, just a bit of fine tuning would do. I've seen excerpts of one of Kiru's WIP - (a paranormal romance) on her blog - that appears to have the sort of fine tuning in the detail I'm talking about.

Adura Ojo said...

Okeoghene: I've got a feeling that you would;) Tell us when you're done.

Lara: Thanks, Lara. I think Kiru has answered your question. Hope you do get the book.

Kiru Taye: You're welcome, Kiru. It was a pleasure to read your first book and I look forward to reading more of your work.

Adura Ojo said...

Kinna: Oh yeah, it is steamy! I echo your thoughts on African romance. I predict a huge market within the next few years.

Anonymous: One can only presume that is a good thing?

Muse Origins said...

Hehe! Makes me really want to read the book :D Cool review


Adiya
Muse Origins
Muse Origins FB

Adura Ojo said...

Adiya: Hi Missy. Hope you're good? Happy New year to you.

Anna said...

Dear Adura,

Thanks for commenting on my RFW-post. I'll read yours shortly. I just happened to see this well-written review.

Best wishes,
Anna

Post a Comment

Your comments are appreciated:)